Friday, May 11, 2007

Three months

Today marks the three month anniversary of our relationship with Duke University Hospital. It was three months ago today that we checked into the birthing section to have Maria induced into labor. At that time we were preparing for a one month stay to be followed by home monitoring and frequent follow-up visits at the Children’s Health Center attached to the hospital. Then, at about this time, we expected to be going back to the hospital for the second surgery. As you know, that all changed. Man, I’m glad we don’t have to go back to the hospital for that second surgery.

A few weeks ago, we again thought that we’d be home by now. I can remember thinking that it would be a splendid gift for Maria to be home with the whole family on Mother’s Day. Then, another setback. Although Noah is doing just fine again, we have no idea when he’ll be home. And that is the answer to the question I’m asked most - when will he be able to go home. I just don’t know and don’t want to jinx it by speculating again. As Maria told me last weekend when I phoned her from Noah’s bedside to give her a great update, "I’m not going to get too excited until Noah is strapped into the car to go home."

I don’t mean to seem bothered by people asking when will Noah be able to come home, because it has never bothered me when people ask about my family. If you ask ,then that means you’re thinking about us and I greatly appreciate that. I always love to talk about my family, too; that’s my favorite subject. I just don’t want to cast any bad luck on us by suggesting that we’ll be home in a certain amount of time. I know, also, that luck is a debatable force, but I’m going to try to keep it on my good side.

No comments: